What is unexplained infertility?
Many a times it happens when the couple don’t find any reason for their infertility condition and for the failure of their treatment. When after evaluation of ovulation, tubal patency and semen analysis, no reason is identified for the infertility. This is called unexplained infertility. This can be very frustrating for the couple and can leave them curious for an explanation.
Is unexplained infertility common?
Around 10-30 % of infertile couples are suffering from unexplained infertility. But, if we cannot see the problem that does not mean that there is no problem. Your problem might be at microscopic level for that we might need to take a step ahead to get a successful pregnancy.
How to diagnose unexplained infertility:
Unexplained infertility is a diagnosis which should be made by excluding all the possible causes of infertility.
- Male partner assessment:
- At least one semen analysis should be done and WHO criteria should be followed for that.
- Male factors account for around 30 % of unexplained infertility cases.
- Check your Ovulation:
- For confirmation of ovulation there are certain methods. Ultrasound monitoring is the best way to do so, and it can give many useful insights also.
- In 15 % of couples’ ovulatory defects might be there.
- Tubal evaluation: Tubal patency confirmation is necessary when you see many failed months of natural treatment cycles. Certain methods like SIS (saline infusion sonography) or HSG (Hysterosalpingography) or Diagnostic hystero-laparoscopy.
- Uterus evaluation: One ultrasound is needed to rule out any obvious pathology in the uterus.
- Know your egg count:
- It can be tested by AMH blood test or ultrasound.
- Women with advanced age, previous ovarian surgery, endometriosis, and chemotherapy are at risk of diminished ovarian reserve.
- Laparoscopy and Hysteroscopy: That can play a diagnostic as well as therapeutic role.
What are the causes of unexplained infertility?
- Endocrinological disturbance like thyroid or prolactin hormone.
- Abnormality in egg growth.
- Increased age.
- High DFI.
- Poor egg quality.
- Poor sperm quality.
- Poor embryo quality.
- Fertilization failure.
- Minimal endometriosis.
- Abnormal movement of fallopian tubes.
- Minimal hydrosalpinx which is not detected by ultrasound.
- Non receptive endometrium ( Uterine lining )
- Cervical factor abnormalities.
- Sperm inability to penetrate egg.
What are the treatment options for unexplained infertility:
- IUI (Intrauterine Insemination):
- IUI is often considered as a first line treatment for couples with unexplained infertility.
- IUI is the procedure where washed sperms are placed inside the uterus around the time of ovulation.
- The couple should make necessary life changes like healthy diet, exercise and they stop alcohol or smoking.
- If the age of female partner is on higher side and duration of infertility is more than 3 years, it’s better not to waste time and go on aggressive treatment options.
- IVF Treatment: IVF can be useful in certain cases of unexplained infertility. If the women age is more than 35 years than direct IVF might be the better treatment options for them and can give better pregnancy rates. If three cycles of IUI failed, then immediate IVF is the option for those couples.
A message from Origin Fertility Center:
We understand that unexplained infertility can be very confusing for the couple. We advise not to lose hope and seek expert advice. We at Origin Fertility Center located at Hitech city Hyderabad can give a right treatment plan with our team of experts. Origin Fertility offers effective treatment options for your fertility problems. Let’s give a new start to your journey of parenthood.